The major events in Melbourne just keeps on coming !! White Night the week before and RAAF Centenary Airshow just last weekend. Now this week … It’s Moomba Festival time !
The Moomba Festival runs over the Labour Day long weekend (Mar 7th to 10th) and is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year ! Dubbed the “festival for the people”, it truly is an iconic and unique Melbourne event.
Situated along the Yarra river on the southern edge of the CBD, the festival has something for everyone. There are lots of rides, food, art displays, performances, etc to cater for all ages.
The major events are:
- The classic Moomba Parade down the streets of Melbourne. It is so huge it is telecast LIVE on free TV !
- The world reknowned Moomba Masters Championships where the best waterskiers and wakeboarders compete all through the festival
- Ashton family circus (Australia’s oldest circus) will be headlining the kids zone again this year
- The famous Birdman Rally where competitors launch themselves off a platform in hilarious costumes & ridiculous contraptions in a bid to see who can fly the furthest. Most result in spectacular crashes into the river!
- The Moomba Pro Skateboard, BMX and Scooter championships
- Fireworks display every night !
So head on down to Birramung Marr by the Yarra river and join in the festivities ! See you there !P.S. And don’t forget there’s the Australian F1 Grand Prix being held next week from Thurs-Sun too. More on that to come …