I am very pleased to announce that Melbourne’s very own All Star Comics has been voted best Comic Book Store in the World!
This is yet another accolade that shows what a great place Melbourne is and another reason why Melbourne is the world’s most liveable city.
Beating nominees from around the world, the boys snared the prestigious Spirit of Comics Retailer Award at the 26th annual Eisner Awards in the US (as joint winners with Legend Comics & Coffee in Nebraska).
As a long-time comics fan, I have known All Star Comics owners Mitch and Troy for many years as a customer all the way back to the days when they were clerks at Comics R Us. And I am delighted they have won this award as it couldn’t have gone to a nicer couple of guys. They are true comic fans first and foremost, extremely passionate about what they do and it shows!
In my opinion what sets All Star Comics apart as a comic book store are:
- Excellent customer service – Whether its tracking down a much needed title or providing selection advice, Mitch and Troy (and their assistants too!) always serve customers with a smile and show a genuine keenness to help. I once ordered a print from them over the phone and when I told Mitch I worked on the other side of the city, he actually offered to have a walk to my building and deliver it personally! I was naturally blown away of course! (Just to finish off the story, I humbly turned him down and made the trip down to the store myself)
- Dedication to local comic book writers and artists – There is a large section of the store devoted to local Aussie comics talent and regularly have meet the writer/artist sessions
- Engaging their customer base consistently – From movie ticket giveaways and in-store table tennis games to drawing-cartoon-on-bags contests, the boys get an A+ for customer engagement creativity with loads of fun!
- A place to hang out – The store occupies a very large floor space (relative to other comic book stores I have been to) with comfortable open areas and seats to chill out. I find that the regulars there are also very friendly and always keen to have a chat about all things comics and pop culture.
- Social media pioneers – All Star Comics are the first comic book store in Melbourne to really use social media well to engage with their customers and market their brand. Their regular updates on Facebook are informative, creative and a good read.
But most of all because … Mitch and Troy are genuinely nice guys who love comics and treats everyone with utmost love and respect.
All Star Comics is truly a deserved best comic book store award winner and a HUGE congratulations guys from Melbourne Ahoy!